tin can cakes

Friday, July 6, 2012

{photo credit: me}

oh, me. oh, my. teeny tiny cakes. i could just die. 

{photo credit: me}

one of the girls in my office got married a few weeks ago and before her wedding we had a little surprise shower/lunch for her. i thought these cakes would be the perfect addition to our menu.  

i know you have tin cans in your pantry just sitting there gathering dust. you bought that can of coconut milk at trader joe's to make something exotic, didn't you? that was 7 months ago. it's time to let go and put that can to better use. 

tin can cakes

gather several tin cans from your pantry. use a can opener to take the entire lid off the can and wash the insides clean, clean, clean. (try to find cans with a clean lip edge). 

mix up one box of your favorite flavor of cake mix according to directions. (i made three flavors which is why all of my cakes are different colors). 

{photo credit: me}

spray inside of can with nonstick spray. add cake batter and fill 3/4 full.

{photo credit: me}

place cans in middle rack of oven preheated to 350 degrees. bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

let these babies cool before you take them out of their tin can homes. once cooled completely, use butter knife to run along the inside of the can to release cake. 

{photo credit: me}

admire your naked cakes. 

cut cake into thirds. slather frosting all up in there. re-stack. more frosting on top. add berries, chocolate chips, toothpick banners, whatever. proceed to eat your face off. 

{photo credit: me}

if my instructions didn't make sense, go here. but if you're faithful to me, you won't go there. not even if your cakes turned into hard rocks of coal.

3 comments:

love hearing from my readers! xoxo

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground