rock and shop

Friday, May 10, 2013

{photo credit: me}

as mentioned in my previous post, i recently volunteered at two different craft markets in durham and raleigh. i had an amazing time helping at each. the first market was the rock and shop in downtown durham. i arrived early and met some of the other volunteers who were girls my age. we chatted with coffees in hand and discussed our favorite restaurants and coffee shops in durham. (mine: guglhupf). 

{photo credit}

the artists arrived shortly after so we moved outside to help them unload their wares and find their assigned tables inside the durham armory. 

{photo credit: me}

once the market's doors opened to the public, we stationed ourselves at the entrance handing out totes and welcoming them to the rock and shop. people were dang excited about some handmade crafts and especially giddy when we handed them a canvas tote and told them it was free. it's not a pony, it's a tote. i guess when something is free, you don't really care what it is or if you'll ever really use it. i can totally relate. i may have had to calm the butterflies in my stomach when the volunteer coordinator told me to grab one for myself.

{photo credit: me}

the main auditorium was filled to the brim with all sorts of handmade! screen print towels and t-shirts, felt ornaments, graphic posters and greeting cards, soaps and lotions, jewelry, paper goods, art for your home, and the list goes on. there was also a dj on stage spinning some tunes to set the mood and a fashion show featuring local talent. 

{photo credit: me}

the morning i spent volunteering was a great way to get my foot in the door and meet some really fun, creative people. it was inspiring to see the variety of artists and their wares. who knows, maybe next year i'll be one of the featured artists? be on the lookout. i'm going big. 


2 comments:

  1. this looks awesome! I'm dying to go to a few handmade things like this in Columbus but so far every time there's one I'm busy. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was way fun and, of course, very inspiring as an artist myself to see all of the ways people are creative! keep looking for one to go to. such great work.

      Delete

love hearing from my readers! xoxo

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground